Saturday, July 16, 2011

Heel Pain Came and Went

During the week I experienced some intermittent heel pain.  It frightened me, because I was so used to feeling nothing.  It lasted about three days, and for some reason it aggravated me the most when I went up and down the stairs.  Of course I thought that my implant was loosening and that I needed to see my doctor, and just as I was ready to schedule an appointment, the heel pain went away. The pain out of nowhere is a mystery to me, and since it is gone, I will leave it at that.  Surely after such a major surgery, strange sensations will pop up, perhaps in the many months to come. 

I know I'm okay, because today I did some major shopping.  Two and a half to three hours worth of walking around on unfriendly hard surface.  I wore a "regular" pair of shoes, and my ankle did very well.  I got a cramp in one of my toes (my Skechers always seem to do that, I don't know why)  on my left foot, and had to end my spree.  At least I didn't have to end it because of my ankle.....my new and amazing ankle that has helped me to be "me" again.  I joke with my family, I say "oh, so you just like me 'cause I'm better, I see, I get it...."

Lately my focus has been on lightening the load, so to speak.  I must lose the weight that I gained from laying around and eating extremely well after my surgery. For the longest time I have had intentions of hitting the gym, and working it hard, like I used to.  I haven't done that yet.  I think I got used to not going to the gym and just living a lazy life. Well, I'm proud to say that the laziness has ended!  Finally, my mindframe is in check. I haven't gone to the gym yet (there's a method to my madness) because first I want to drop fifteen to twenty pounds, which I can do in about three weeks.  Don't gasp, I've done it before, the healthy way. I have been swimming though, which to me, is the perfect exercise,  2nd to rowing, in my book.  When you put your mind to it, those initial pounds are somewhat easy to lose.  Trust me, it's true.  Weight loss is mind over matter. No fads, no diets, just pure common sense.  I take the common sense approach, and with that, a couple of years ago I lost 60 lbs in 7 months.  So now I have to do it again:).

My path to weight loss has positively nothing to do with vanity, my husband loves me no matter what, as I do him.  My daughters think I am perfect the way I am.  My path to weight loss has everything to do with protecting my precious implant.  I want this implant to last as long as it possibly can, and for every pound I lose, life to the implant is added.  My goal is to cause less stress on my ankle.  When I see my doctor next December, I will be at the very least, and I mean the very least, forty pounds lighter.  I'm secretly working toward 60. We'll see......  I'll be sure to keep you posted.  I got serious five days ago and have been successful in adhering to a maximum of 1500 calories a day. When I start going to the gym again, my calorie intake will be higher. If you're working out, you must be sure to have enough calories to sustain your activity level. A friend of mine told me that when I couldn't understand why I was so tired during and after workouts, and it stuck. Anyway, I haven't weighed myself so I don't know what I've lost in the last "serious" five days.  I'll give myself another couple of weeks before I get on the scale.  Then, I'll be able to post actual weight loss. 

You see, my doctor told me I was a "big person." My heart sank, and I knew he was right. Having said that, I am six feet tall, so I am automatically big.  But a couple of years or less ago, I was probably 40-60 pounds "smaller"....  when he said yes to the ankle replacement surgery.  I do believe that my most wonderful doctor is counting on me to re-lose my weight, and I don't blame him. This is his craftsmanship on the line.   So....it's July, I see Dr. Johnson in Decemeber.  I'm setting my sights at a fifty pound weight loss between now and then.  There you have it.  I know I've lost at least 5, just by the way I feel and the way my clothes are fitting.  45 to go.

My best to all of you, my family, friends, and Googlers, Bingers, and Yahooers....  wishing you ALL a pain free life!

~Suzanne

5 comments:

  1. Suzanne,

    Happy Birthday, TAR buddy! This is the year to start dancin' again.

    Hugs, Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you TAR buddy! Wow,I love what you said, "the year to start dancin' again"... you're the best, Kay. Thank you for the birthday wishes and for all of your inspiring messages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog, Your blog is more informative to us. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment, better to have the real deal, That's what I looked for,,,real life experience. Hope I helped!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzanne I just read your post about heel pain after ankle replacement. I have had the same thing for over a month. It started about 14 months after surgery. I can hardy walk and using the stairs kills me. I keep hoping it will go away but it has not and I am almost unable to walk. I see my doc in two days and was wondering if your pain ever came back or were you blessed and stayed pain free. Thanks Diane

    ReplyDelete