Sunday, May 15, 2011

Milestone!!

Yesterday was the first big social function that I attended since my March 15th surgery.  I enjoyed getting dressed up for a change and wearing at least one fancy shoe.  It felt good to be getting out there again, I was going to see lots of friends that I hadn't seen in a long time.  I arrived at the party at about 4:00, and by 5:00 I was ready to fall on my face.  I was overcome by exhaustion!  Gosh, I really need to get this body of mine back into shape!  It was a large crowd of about sixty five people, and after spending  so much quiet time at home over the last couple of months, I found it to be overwhelming.  Although I was tired after an hour, I managed to stick it out until 8:00.  I mingled, imbibed, and talked and talked and talked, spending a great deal of that four hours on my feet.  The party was still going strong, but I had to get my tired body and spinning head home.  Ahhhhh it felt good to take my cast off and put my feet up.  I was swollen, but didn't have a great deal of pain, which is a good thing.

After a good night's sleep, I got out of bed, stretched a little, and strapped on my cast.  Since I'm getting tired of that darn thing, I decided that today was the day that I was going to attempt to get my foot into a regular shoe, and if I was feeling really lucky I was going to try to walk without my cast.  I had to search for my right shoe, I only had left shoes around...  grabbed some comfy socks, and put on both shoes.  Trust me, I didn't think I was going to be able to get my shoe on, even after loosening the laces.  But I did, and it felt great.  Then I grabbed one crutch, stood up, and walked.  Then I put down the crutch and walked.  My goodness, this is a wonderful day. 

So far it doesn't hurt, it actually feels good to stretch all those muscles down there.  I am concentrating hard, on trying to keep my foot straight, and I'm walking slow and carefully.  Today I am experiencing the moment that I have been waiting for for several years.  This is the moment that I can walk without bone crunching debilitating pain, without support.  I feel like I have hit the lottery, I wish my husband was here to share this with me, but the poor dear is in Hawaii. :)  My daughters are here, and my seven year old started clapping and hugged me.  This is a milestone for her as well, because soon I will be a new and improved mom.  This whole process has been difficult on my children, they have been so patient and supportive, and today they get to witness the fruits of the labor.  My twelve year old who sleeps most of the day away came down and I told her I wanted to show her something, and  I stood up and walked for her.  She smiled from ear to ear and gave me the biggest congratulatory hug, and said "you did it"!  That's when I lost it, and the happy tears started flowing.  Yes, I did it.  My time has finally come. 

I have always loved Sundays, I love this one especially. Thank you, God. Wishing  you all a happy Sunday as well.

Best,
~Suzanne

4 comments:

  1. Suzanne, I wish I could have been there to see you take your first steps and share your joy. Congratulations. Walking after two months. Unbelievable. You have come a long way in a short time. And no pain? Keep that foot straight if you can and continue your pt.

    On Friday (my surgery was on April 15) I went down and up the stairs (14)in my cast with my Physical Therapist, Gary, and again on Saturday with PT, Cameryn. Progress. I am still on pain meds.

    from TAR Lady K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, I am so glad to hear from you. I tried to email you from your profile, not allowed. I was worried, and now I can relax! Up and down the stairs? You go girl, my favorite TAR Lady with an edge!! Hope you are happy with your therapists, I adore mine. You're still on meds and that is A-Okay. Nothing wrong with keeping the pain away. Feel free to email me through my profile, anytime. You are my TAR buddy, and I truly do care about you!

    ~Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a milestone day for sure! Walking with both sets of shoes on must have felt great; it's
    something most of us take for granted of course but I know you don't. Congrats on the progress and keep up the good work. You are right on target about muscles needing to be worked again.

    All in due time as you move forward, literally!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so excited to see the photo with both your shoes on! And walking too! Suzanne, you give me hope anbd inspiration. Maybe I will be doing that in 2 months and like Lady K, I might still be on pain meds but Dear God, let me get into a pair of feminine shoes and WALK! :)

    I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete