Friday, May 20, 2011

Walking on Sunshine

On March 15th I successfully attempted to walk  in regular shoes. That was one of the happiest days, ever. Since then, the positive change in my quality of life has been nothing short of astounding. Following I don't how many years of pain, around ten or so, I feel like a new person.  My zest for life is returning, I am beginning to feel like "me" again.  I can't tell you how that feels.  My only wish is that you experience it for yourself.  Do I feel pain when I walk? Yes. Is it bad? No. Not bad at all. No pain in the world can hold a candle to what was there prior to March 15th.  My experience with ankle replacement surgery, thus far, has left me stunned.  A good kind of stunned.

You know, I realize during this go 'round of ankle surgery that physical therapy is important.  In the past, I have not been satisfied with it in the very least, which leads me to wonder if it was the therapists and not the therapy, that I was not happy with .  I have a wonderful therapist now, that I actually look forward to going to see.  A bit of advice, even though you didn't ask for it, shop around before you settle.  You only want the best, and someone who is trained in your type of major ankle surgery, and someone who understands what you have been through and what you are facing now.  I have that in Nick, and sadly, he'll be cutting me loose in another week or so.  But you know what?  The best therapy for my new ankle implant is.....that's right, WALKING.  And that's what I'm doing.

The pain that I experience from walking comes more from the muscles surrounding the ankle rather than the implant itself.  I have a great deal of stiffness, so yes, it occassionally hurts when I'm trying to loosen things up.  I don't feel any pain at all where the implant is, instead, I feel nothing but total relief there. When I step and really think about it, that bone on bone arthristis pain....is gone.  Completely gone. Getting rid of old habits has been a challenge for me, such as trying to keep my foot sraight.  I still want to do my sidewinder walk, which guess what, isn't necessarry anymore!  Beautiful thing.  So every step I take now, is slow, well thought out, and deliberate.  The pain in my achilles has lessened greatly, and I no longer experience any discomfort in my extensor tendon, just a little numbness there, which is normal.  Can things be any better?  To those of you who have actually forged your way through my long, dull posts....I'm still waiting for that hammer to drop! That damn hammer!!  I see my surgeon on June 6th, and I am so nervous about the outcome.  Will my x-rays be good?  Will he tell me everything is healing well?  I need to hear, from the horse's mouth, that my ankle is healing properly.  I've had healing issues in the past, and quite frankly, I'm not ready to face another healing problem. I'm too over the moon with the way things are right now.  Postive thinking....

Around the house I usually walk in sneakers, or some of you may call them tennis or gym shoes.  I'm an east coaster originally, hence, they're sneakers for me. I've also walked in bare feet, which is surprisingly comfortable. Anyway, when I need to do heavy work, like housework that requires going up and down the stairs a lot, I put my aircast on.  With the aircast I can motor around like nothing ever happened!  I am able to get everything done now, the only thing that worries me is the heavy lifting.  When I go food shopping I take about thirty five trips from the car with the bags because I'm so afraid to carry too much.  Heavy lifting is a huge no no after this type of surgery.  Now if I can just lighten myself!  All of my inactivity has not played out nicely on my body, I think I've gained 20 lbs.  My gourmet cook of a husband hasn't helped in that department, but it was all served up in love.  So anyway, I'm trying to shed pounds...I need to baby my implant. My goal is to benefit from fifteen good years from my STAR.  Gym, here I come.

My daughter, a true blue Justin Bieber fan, was watching his new movie, the dvd that she had to have the very second it was released. She's 12.... need I say more? She turned up the volume during one Justin's songs that she especially likes, and started dancing.  I got up and danced with her.  The expression on her face when she saw her mother dance, was priceless. Julia's look was part embarrassment because her mom was dancing and looking silly, and part, oh my gosh, mommy you're actually dancing! Wow!  Life is beautiful.  So beautiful.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Best,
~Suzanne

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Suzanne! :-) This is such great news to hear! Hopefully IF and when the "hammer drops", it won't be anything you can't just dance right over. ;-) xo

    ReplyDelete