Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Total Ankle Replacement Recovery Must-Haves

If you are preparing for surgery, you might want to consider the following items for your shopping list:

The following items are things I could NOT have lived without after the big day (just me, keep in mind we're all different).  My list is in no particular order with the exception of number one, and ten, and ten comes before one:

#1.  Knee Walker **
 Or some may call it a knee scooter, or knee roller.  This is the single most important apparatus to have if you are recovering from ankle surgery.  It alllows you to have independence. Heck, it's just fun to have anyway, even if you're fine.  Do not try to recover without this.  You will be amazed by what you can accomplish with a knee walker, especially if you have a basket on it. You can fix yourself a sandwich and a drink, stick it in your basket, and wheel back to your comfy spot.  You'll be zipping from here to there, and everywhere.  Number one on your list, for sure (except for #10).  Unless, of course, you would prefer to not do anything at all, which is perfectly understandable, and acceptable.  If you're like me, you might view your surgery recovery as a vacation. That's fine too. "What?  You expect me to pick up those dirty clothes when all I have is a new ankle and a knee walker?  What?".

**  I've heard from several people that they were not happy with theirs.  Be sure to test out the models, don't just order one online or rent one without trying it out first.  They are all different, some do the job better than others.  I loved mine, but I had always wished that it had a better turning radius.  Mine was given to me by my brother who is a podiatrist...I remain thankful for that, and he will never hear a complaint from me. Ever. 

#2. Crutches 
Need I say more?  I think not.

#3. Pillows
 Lots of pillows. Pillows for when you elevate, which is extremely often following ankle replacement surgery. "Toes above the nose!"  Some patients purchase special foam wedges, or go to Lowe's and have them cut wedges for them, which is great! Some patients go to medical supply stores for "special" pillows and wedges. That is okay too. I, however, went to a certain known superstore and purchased a bunch of two dollar pillows.  My feet were going to be on them for weeks on end, I didn't want them to be good pillows. They worked great!  To this day, I still put them on the kitchen floor so I can rest my foot on them while having dinner and/or playing cards.  You can not have enough cheap pillows.  As I write, I have my foot on a cheap pillow.  Cheap pillows rule.

#4 Heavy Duty Task Chair with Arms and Wheels
I say heavy duty, because you want one that is not going to slip out from under you when you lift yourself  up from it.  My heavy duty task chair saved my life in the bathroom.  I wheeled myself to the tub, toilet, shower,  everywhere in the bathroom. I sat in it while I put my face on, brushed my teeth, you name it. 

#5 Shower/Bath Cast Cover
This item was wonderful to have because I never had to worry about getting water on my cast when I bathed.  I suppose I could have used a regular ole garbage bag, but with that I would not have been able to submerge my leg in the tub.  The cast cover creates a seal that renders it impossible to get your cast wet.  You can even go swimmimg with it, not that the thought even crossed my mind after surgery.

#6  Cast Socks
I was given about six of these when my second cast was put on.  They are soft and open at both ends and slip over your cast.  I never slept without one on my cast because it prevented injuries to my good leg.  Casts are very abrasive and without the sock over mine, I would scrape myself on it.  It also protected our leather furniture.  If I laid on the couch without the sock, it scratched the leather.  Not good.  I also wouldn't put my shower/tub cast cover on without having the sock on first, because the cast can tear the rubber.  I still use my cast socks, under my aircast, when I'm not wearing my compression sock, which is most of the time.  They really come in handy.

#7  Baby Wipes
I spent most of the first two weeks post-op in bed, and when the thought of getting up and facing the ordeal of getting into the tub overwhelmed me, I used these to freshen up.  I often wiped my casted toes with them since I couldn't get that area wet.  When a bath or shower seems like it is out of the question, turn the baby wipes, they will suffice when necessary. 

#8 Grabber

I call it "the claw."  I could NOT have lived without this, especially with young children to pick up after.  I would scoot around on my knee walker and pick things up off the floor with this.  I think it cost about $20 at Walgreens...more than worth it, best 20 bucks I've ever spent.  I still use it often, I even used it today.  When you're learning to walk again, it's difficult to bend over sometimes.  Well, grab the claw.  After my surgery I always had it with me, next to my bed, in case I dropped the remote or something.  (God forbid I couldn't access the TV!) PRICELESS.  Very very useful, even when you're well.

#9 Books, Magazines, and a TV

How can you laze the days away without these? That is, when you're not sleeping off the pain meds.  Sometimes I would read a sentence and then be zzzzzzz.  I enjoyed watching movies the most, and was sure to include some comedies, as heavy dramas on top of heavy pain meds brought me down.  Just a thought to consider.

#10 Supportive People

The most important item on the list, no doubt.  If you are able, have a loved one to care for you.  Or, make arrangements for a caretaker, for the first two weeks, the most difficult period of the whole process.  My husband did everything for me....everything.  I could not have done this without him and as I look back today, I realize, again, how amazing he is.


Here are a couple of things that I lived without, and probably shouldn't have:

#1  Over the toilet raised commode 

Private matter, yes, but I'll share anyway.  I had the MOST difficult time getting up and down from the toilet.  I didn't think of it beforehand, but I wish that I had purchased or rented one.  It would have have negated many difficult moments. I actually ripped some of our towel bars out the wall while attempting to get up.  Not good.  Fortunately my husband has already spackled and repaired. 

#2 Walker

I was offered one in the hospital and I turned it down.  Just didn't feel comfortable with it.  Well, I can not count all the times that I said "I wish I took that damn walker!!".  Take it, it will be useful. If anything, it will help with the bathroom problems that I touched on above.  There were so many times that I had wished I had it in place of my crutches.  Crutches are just so unruly sometimes...

#3 Shower/Tub Seat

All along I had planned on having one.  I got into a groove getting into the tub, all was well, so I didn't bother.  Then when I couldn't stand taking baths anymore and all I wanted was a shower, there were times I would have died for a shower,  I regretted not having the seat available.  If I had it do all over again (which you know I hope I don't) I would make sure I had a shower seat.

Reader suggestions:

iPod!

We all learn as we go along.....

There are many things that I wish I had lived without, that I SHOULD have lived without, like chocolate, ice cream, pizza, coca cola, so on and so forth.  There is something about those pain meds that make me want to nest with a bunch of sweets!  Eat healthy, your healing bones will appreciate it.

We are having an amazingly spectacular day here in O'Fallon Missouri, I hope your day is amazing too!

Thanks for reading,
~Suzanne

21 comments:

  1. Wow, Suzanne! Thanks for posting the list of items you might need after surgery. I'm still looking for a knee scooter but I am not using crutches - just sticking with my old standby - THE WALKER!

    I agree with everything you have listed and since I have my first post-op appointment tomorrow, I will ask for some cast socks if they don't offer them to me. Great idea!

    ~Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you had an ankle replacement or just a different kind of surgery. I am 39 and need ankle replacement do to a birth defect and the dr doesn't want to do it right now if we can keep from it well in 2010 I had a complete reconstructive surgery to my right foot in hopes of buying me some time and if anything it has made it worse. I am to the point now that I can't go to the store and look around I have to get what I need and leave. It hurts to press on the gas, I have to sit on a stool to cook supper, it is just getting so bad that I can't take it any more. If you or anyone on this page have had an ankle replacement can you tell me any more about it, did it help you, how long is the recovery time, any information and/or advice would be deeply appreciated. Thank you for your time.

      Delete
  2. This is a great post, Suzanne! There were several things on the list that I agreed with just from my experience breaking my arm last year. (Not the walker or knee walker of course!) I'd probably add an iPod to the list - helped me through many a rough night either playing solitaire or trying to drift back off to sleep with some Donovan crooning in my ear. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pamela, dear, how could I not have included the great iPod on my list...I'm heading up right now to add it to my post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lost the cast on week threeand that was a life-saver. I used the scooter, but took a hard fall due to the design. Be careful to choose one that will not turn a full 90 degrees or you will go down. I used the walker very little and the crutches quite a bit while using the boot.
    I am in week seven and have an ankle brace. I expected to hit the ground running but after taking short walks, I experience quite a bit of pain and some drainage...Earl Stubbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earl, how are you doing now?? You probably won't see this, but I wanted to check on you anyway!

      Delete
  5. I am just beginning my 5th week after ankle replacement. I cannot sleep because of the feeling of frostiness in the toes and the flesh over the ankle is tingling and aching. I finally have taken two tylenol and have elevated my casted foot, hoping that the problems will subside and I can drift off to sleep. I have also developed gout, and am desperately trying to control the pain in the big toe, with a very strict diet.Would I reccommend this operation? YES. After reading other peoples' blogs, about how they are able to eventually enjoy an active lifestyle, it is all worth the pain and discomfort and I would not hesitate to have additional surgeries if it meant that my quality of life would be improved eventually. Happy trails y'All.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzanne-LOVE this list! I gathered many things on your list & they have made recovery much more comfortable this time around. I'm at the end of week 1 with my ankle replacement surgery. I've been in a similar spot before due to the initial injury and follow up procedures. The only additional item that has been helpful to me has been a rolling bedside table. It looks very similar to the ones at the hospital. It's a flat surface that I can eat from, put my laptop on and play cards with the kids.It doesn't roll great on my carpet but I manage.

    BTW-I can't use my knee walker due to a hole that was drilled under my knee for alignment purposes. It looks like a chariot over in the corner of my bedroom. I had no idea that was part of the procedure but I'm confident I'll get to use it at some point.

    Putting the grabber on my wish list now...

    Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzanne, thank you for this list. I'm going to have one ankle replaced in June and the other later this year. I had never heard of a knee walker. I have had a knee replacement already so I am well aware of the inconvenience but with a knee you can start putting pressure on you foot right away. With the ankle it will be 6 weeks before i can put any pressure on it. I am sure that the knee walker will save me. As a matter of fact, I am buying one and borrowing one so I can have one at home and one at work. Your other suggestions are right on the money and also very helpful. I have your list saved in my favorites so that I can refer back to it at the time gets closer.
    Thanks so much!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, My name is Candy and I had Ankle replacement 8 weeks ago. and before that a Triple Arthodesis so the knee scooter has been my best friend. I have been walking on my ankle for 2 weeks now and have seen lots of improvement. Still some pain. But I am enjoying having a solid ankle. ONe I feel I can depend on.

      Delete
  8. I am having ankle replacement in 2 weeks. Thanks for the tips Suzanne. Was your surgery outpatient?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi , how did your ankle replacement go? I had mine March 24th. And just want some feedback.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the post, Seven months ago I had my heal fussed with two screws and arthritis clean out from my ankle along with a bone spur. After 6 months of intense therapy I had worn out the little cartilage that I had left in my ankle. I was then given the option of getting my ankle fused or replaced, I choose to have the ankle replacement after doing much research and found a surgeon at Kaiser in San Francisco Dr. Shuberth who has done over 700 ankle replacements. People apparently come from all over the world to have him perform their surgery, luckily I was able to get in and just had I my total ankle replacement on May 6th, 2014. I would agree that the knee scooter is a life saver and would not do this without it. I am hoping to be up and walking after this surgery and not have to have another for a very long time. I am 52 years old and the life expectancy of an ankle joint is about 10 years. Has anyone had a second ankle replacement done, to replace the first? It is going to have to happen, just not sure when. I have the STAR join implanted and am part of a 3 year study for the Joint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dowens,

      I had my ankle replacement March 25th. How is yours going. I started walking on mine at the 6 weeks point which was two weeks ago. I still have some pain in the ankle but walking unassisted. And the ankle feels solid. I have high hopes of a good recovery.

      Delete
  10. I just scheduled my ankle replace surgery for 10/9/14. I have end-state arthritis in my left ankle as a result of a bad break back in 1993. I am so looking forward to living without pain and swelling. I have shied away from so many activities because of this ankle and look forward to a more active lifestyle. My short-term goal is to be able to visit Disney World in March, 2015 and do a lot of walking around all the parks. I hope this isn't too soon post-surgery, but I guess time will tell. This is a great list and I am going to use it as a guide as I prepare for my surgery. Hopefully there will be more activity on this blog in the weeks (and months) ahead. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, my name is Sue. I'm having a ankle replacement 9-16-14. I was born with a minor clubfoot which I've had 7 surgeries on. I have so much pain in my ankle, especially up the back Achilles area. I take a lot of pain meds and gabapentin just so I can walk. I agree with the list above. I did have a toilet seat and shower chair in my previous surgeries. I'm just looking for someone (s) to tell me this whole thing is gonna be worth it. I'm scared It won't work and I'll have to go on and have a fusion. I told my husband next will be a amputation if the replacement doesn't work. I can't keep taking all these pills and still have pain. I'd like someone to give me a little hope.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grace you at want to postpone that trip to Disney. I had ankle replacement surgery on July 10th 2014. I have been for the last couple of weeks allowed to weight bear on the ankle with a boot on but not for long periods of time and use of crutches. Rehab for three weeks now and feel confident that on the next doctors visit I will be allowed to walk without my crutches but still require to wear the boot. Good luck on your surgery and your recovery.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Consider an iWalk-free as an alternative to a knee scooter. It's probably more stable, cheaper, and more versatile, as you can go up an down stairs. I'm in day 6 of my ankle and I can get around quite well, though I'm trying not to run around too much so I can keep the ankle elevated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rolling Walker are great. My mother used one after the Ankle Surgery. It made getting around much easier for her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had my ankle replacement a month ago(I am now 63). I was NOT going to eave the hospital until a knee walker was delivered. My I-pod and laptop are a life saver. 23 1/2 hours a day with my foot elevated. I slightly rest my foot on pillow on floor to take some of the stiffness away. I am grateful and blessed for my doctor to arranged for me to get this done. Walking on two feet again without pain will be a grand day indeed.

    ReplyDelete