Monday, June 6, 2011

12 Weeks Post-op Already?

I can hardly believe that it's been twelve weeks since my March 15th ankle replacement surgery.  When I look back, I recall thinking that this day would never get here.  The weeks of non weight bearing felt like an eternity at the time....well, it appears that I've made it through the rain.  Today, I get to see Dr. Johnson.  It's been six weeks since my last visit with him, so I am thrilled to see him again.  I'm feeling anxious, excited, nervous, you name it.  The butterflies in my tummy are fluttering frantically, as I anxiously await the results of my x-rays today.  The uneasy feeling I have comes as no surprise to me, as the memories of some negative results many years ago weigh heavily on my mind.  Back in '95, after my second surgery to repair the first surgery that collapsed, I was told that I had a nonunion, and proceeded to go through hell and high water to fill in the gaps in my bones.  My only wish is that today, I hear the words "everything looks great."  I'm so nervous that I don't even think I can eat breakfast. 

I have some time before I get ready, so perhaps I'll share what I've been up to since my last post.  You might recall me saying that I wouldn't be walking through an amusement park anytime soon.  Well, on Saturday and Sunday, I did. We went to the carnival.  I wore my aircast for support, and more importantly, SAFETY.  Thank God I wore it, because in a sea of excited, rampaging young children, it was a necessity.  I lost count of how many times I was kicked, stepped on, bumped into, spilled on, the list goes on. Had I not worn my brace, I would have left the carnival on a stretcher!   In the end, a great time was had by all.  I did, however, end up with a heat rash on my leg, I get so cotton pickin' itchy!  It was 100 degress outside, so you can imaging how hot my leg was in the confines of my aircast.  I'll be happy when the aircast days are behind me for good, when I can be in crowds without fear. 

I suppose I should get ready for my appointment now, goodness I am nervous.  If I don't eat something I fear that my stomach rumbling will drown out the words that I am longing to hear...everything looks great Suzanne, everything looks great...couldn't look better...enjoy your new life...

shower
eat (maybe)
start car to cool it off
get daughter ready
feed the cat

off we go.....to Washington University Orthopedics.

I'm baaaaack.  After an unusually long wait, I finally got x-rays taken.  I had hoped to post images of my x-rays here, but unfortnatey they couldn't burn them to a disc, and they can't be emailed.  Instead, I came home with with good ole old fashioned giant x-rays that I get to hold up to a light.  In this day and age, I'm left shaking my head...I had really hoped for a disc.  Following x-rays, my 7 year old daughter and I were led to an examination room and almost immediately, in popped Dr. Johnson.  First things first, I stood up and gave him that big hug that he had coming his way.  After the big hug and a huge thanks, we sat down and went over everything.  Dr. Johnson asked me what my pain level was at, I said "zero."  We talked about my remarkable recovery, and he turned to the x-rays on his computer.  He said, "well this looks great!"  There they were....the words I had been hoping to hear.  As the weight of the world lifted off my shoulders, I turned to my daughter and winked at her and said,  "Mommy's all better now."  A smile leaped across her face, I just adore that big toothy grin.  That moment spoke volumes to me...Olivia has been waiting for this too.  Perhaps I can take her to the zoo now.  In the fall I'll be able to walk her to school, and very soon we will ride bikes together.  We can play in the yard now, too.  There is a long list of activities that we need to do together, we've got a lot of ground to make up.  Now back to the x-rays, before the tears start falling....  Dr. Johnson pointed eveything out to me, and explained where we didn't want to see spaces or shadows and he showed me where the bone had clearly grown and secured itself to my perfectly aligned STAR implant.  No spaces, no shadows, and the doctor said that he was extremely pleased.  He told me not to do anything crazy on my new ankle. I'll use my common sense and best judgement, so no sky diving for me :). Dr. Johnson recommended swimming exercises, riding a bike, the elliptical, and weight training.  He asked that I not use the treadmill at this time. Okay by me, I'm not a treadmiller anyway.  I actually prefer rowing over anything else, when given a choice.  There is an adult rowing team in the St. Louis area, and in the past I always wished that I could join it.  I guess that can be up for consideration now, or when I get back into shape.  Anyway, back to my doctor visit, it was all good, and I am so relieved to tell you that. My next follow up appointment is in six months.  SUCCESS!  Hallelujah!



Turns out I was able to get some (not so great) shots by placing my x-rays on white poster board.  So here it is, my new STAR ankle.  Thanks for reading, wishing you all a beautiful week! 


Best Always,
~Suzanne

3 comments:

  1. Suzanne,
    Congratulations!
    I have been waiting all day for your post and a fabulous one it is. You started the day with your feelings and anticipation of a great report and it happened. I sometimes think you willed it with your positive attitude.
    You, your doctor, and family must be rejoicing.
    You even posted with great determination the x-rays to show your perfectly aligned STAR ankle implant. Will you call your ankle STAR?
    You were able to share this special unforgetable day with your daughter. You had us worried when you foot experienced the carnival ruffians and heat in your AIRCAST. Swimming and biking? Walks with your family? What a pleasure.

    Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful news!

    STAR LIGHT, STAR BRIGHT
    BLESSINGS on the YOUR STAR TONIGHT!

    the TAR LADY K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, thank you for that lovely comment. You are the sweetest. I appreciate you, my TAR buddy, so very much. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Suzanne! Sounds like you are doing wonderful! I can't believe you actually went to an amusement park 12 weeks post-op... you are one brave woman! LOL

    Swimming, biking, elliptical and weight-training... yep... I am doing all of those things now. You will see that as time goes on and you heal and gain your strength back you will be more active and energetic and enjoying life again! I'm so happy for your excellent progress.

    Keep up the good work and don't push yourself! Take it one day at a time... remember, you don't want to have to go through that surgery again to fix something... LOL

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete