Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Range of Motion and Sunblock Lotion

I'm making my own way now, without physical therapy.  The final numbers are in....drumroll please...
                                   4-29-11                            5-27-11
                          AROM     PROM             AROM     PROM
Plantarflexion           +18          +20                   +22          +26
Dorsiflexion               +2            +6                     +8          +12
Inversion                  +18          +20                   +18          +20
Eversion                   +16          +18                   +14          +18

All those tiny degrees of happiness!  AROM is when I'm doing it myself, PROM is with the help of my PT.  I'm especially pleased with the noted improvement in my dorsiflexion, as that is hands down, the most important motion when it comes to walking.  Not sure what happened with my eversion, I must spend more time working on that on my own.  I have continued my stretching and strenghtening exercises at home, but the best exercise for me, has been walking.  I look forward to getting back to the gym, but I must wait for my twelve week check up on the 6th, to get the green light.

I am not spending much time in my boot anymore, I've been venturing out and about without it.  However, if I go to the mall, or somewhere that will require a lot of walking,  I put it on.  I do find that if I wear my boot for a long period of time, it aggravates me and I simply can't wait to rip it off.  What used to bring me comfort and relief now irritates me.  Go figure. 

Thankfully, I continue for the most part, to enjoy freedom from pain (I still find that so hard to believe). That said, the more walking I do, I fully expect to experience twinges here and there.  The latest twinge that I am featuring is intermittent heel pain while ambulating up the stairs.  It's difficult to describe, and strangely enough, I don't feel it on every stair.  Let me see, how can I describe this feeling....  almost like a light jab in my heel with a toothpick.  That's the best I can do.  My guess is that there might be some mild nerve impingement, which in due time, will dissipate.  There are nerves that are still trying to wake up from their bad dream, in some cases it can take years for them to "wake up" and fully recover from the trauma they have experienced in a construction zone of an ankle.  So other than the mild toothpick prick, and some stiffness, I have no complaints. 


OUCH!

A couple of days ago we all headed to the pool for some fun in the sun, my youngest daughter was going to explode if she didn't get to go swimming...so swim she did, for five hours.  Normally I'm in the water with her but with it being the first day of the pool being open, the water felt like ice cubes. It felt colder than ice cubes. It was the kind of cold that can take your breath away.  So instead of jumping (carefully lowering myself) in, I lounged. I lounged, and lounged, and lounged some more.  I chatted the day away with some dear friends, all the while applying sunblock 50 to my scars.  I was so worried about my scars being in the sun.  Unfortunately, I was so focused on protecting my scars that I forgot to reapply to the rest of me.  NOT good, not good at all.  That was on Sunday, today is Tuesday (almost Wednesday, good Lord, what am I doing up) and I'm still a hurting unit.  My right calf is burned to a crisp, so much so that when I stand up it feels like a bed of needles is being pressed into me.  Little tip:  while you're tending to your scars with sunscreen, remember your other body parts.  Ouch.
You'd think that after 46 years of life on this earth and under the sun, that I could avoid a bad sunburn.  Nope. :)

Take care all, and thank you for reading.  Wishing you the best, always.

~Suzanne


 

6 comments:

  1. Tho I'm sorry about your sunburn, I love the title! Suzanne, you are a natural at this blogging business. :-)

    On your own, already? Seems like just yesterday our little girl was having surgery and now, look at her go! ;-) I'm glad this has gone sooooo well for you, dear! Sending prayers and positive waves that it will just keep being good, and that you will soon recover from the sunburn - I recommend some aloe gel (preferably that has been refrigerated, too) and vitamin E oil ...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mama Pam! The aloe is inches away from me as I type. I must get some vitamin e capsules as you recommend, it will help with my scars. Thanks for checking in and for the prayers and positive waves, you always make me smile. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have the right stuff for that burn. Exactly what I would suggest. Sorry it hurts now but just love the idea that you were basking in the sun, reveling with friends in the freedom of your new life with a new ankle.

    We all need to take our minds off the TAR now and then. I forgot my pain tonight watching Masterpiece Perfomances on IPTV. I was relaxed and drifting off to a napstate when upon hearing loudly, DA, DA, DA, DUM , Beethoven's 5th, James Levine conducting. I yelled and nearly jumped off my rocker (don't go there) dreaming that I had slipped on the deck of a ship feet first, and almost fell on my bum. TG, no harm done. I must have a fear of falling with my new Aircast.
    Suzanne, I love the way you systematically measure your range of motion. My PT lady today is hoping she will be the one to get my ankle moving when the time comes. You are laying the groundwork for all of us. Can't wait.
    Thank you!
    TAR Lady K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't sleep. Pain at the scab site. TAR Lady

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pain was alleviated the next day with placement of a cotton pad taped above (not on)the pain site taking off the pressure of the Aircast. I do not believe the cause is a fracture blister, (no fluid), scab which was suggested. However, I lost a whole night's sleep. .
    Suzanne, I hope your burn doesn't blister. Your skin has been in a cave for weeks and is more vulnerable there (my supposition.) Aveda makes good plant based skin products for sunburn.
    If I should get more than a healthy glow under the wicked tropical sun, I break off a stem of an aloe plant. Inside is a sticky, gooey, slimy green substance which I apply directly on my burn. Also, I always use Vitamin E directly applied from the capsule, not Vitamin E oil in a bottle. If one has a serious burn it will not turn into a tan the next day as we thought as teenagers. EXCEPT:
    In 1972 I was reading a new health book by Adele Davis which came to my rescue when my baby girl at three months old got a terrible burn in the Florida sun. I referenced Adele on burns and there it was, Vitamin E oil. As a mother alone I quickly applied the Vitamin E on her fragile red skin and miraculouly a few hours later the red had dissapeared. With the her fast changing baby cells she seem like brand new again much to my relief. She was fair of skin and her wavy hair had glints of red like a tarnished penny and so it did not surprise me when she sprouted freckles as a young girl.
    Sorry if this has been off subject for TAR.
    Hope that you are getting relief for your sunburn, Suzanne.
    from the TAR Lady K

    ReplyDelete
  6. All hail the aloe plant! I grew up in an aloe jungle. My mom always had it around to treat our boos and boos and burns, it really does work wonders! I swear by vitamin e also, I've been using it on my scars. Your poor baby and her burn, did she end up being a red head? I have a freckle faced red head here...with skin like milk. My burn has finally stopped burning, after lots of peeling. Oh, and I'm also using cocoa butter on my scars and am seeing an improvement. And Kay, my dear TAR Lady, no apologies for getting off the TAR subject, I enjoy getting off the subject, and love reading your stories. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete