Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wizard of Oz Wheelchair Wedding Adventure

My family and I recently returned from my brother's wedding in Wichita, Kansas.  What an adventure it was, to say the very least.  Let's just say that I felt like Dorothy, in The Wizard of Oz.  One minute we were enjoying a leisurely drive on the highway amazed by the fact that all we could see was road, grass, and cows.  Zillions of cows.  No trees, just grass.  The next minute we were driving right into the mouth of a monumentous storm.  Nothing like driving into Kansas with a sky filled with funnel clouds.... after taking shelter under four underpasses, we finally made it to our destination, unscathed.  You know, all of this tornado business here in the midwest is making me miss the east coast, where I grew up.  Did I mention that we had an earthquake here in Missouri recently?  And a cicada plague? And a sweltering heat wave?  I say enough already.  Today is a beautiful day, for that, I am thankful.

Prior to leaving for our trip I spent a great deal of time preparing and running (fast walking) around the house getting everything together and packed up.  I was on my feet from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. the day of, so there was quite a bit of swelling in my ankle.  I looked forward to the seven hours in the car so I could sit still.  The swelling didn't go down much, because I had a difficult time comfortably elevating in our car. By the time we made it to our hotel I couldn't wait to put my foot up and to ice my ankle.  I didn't experience a lot of pain, it just looked like my ankle was going to explode if I didn't get it up above my nose.  Remember, toes above the nose....  so after unpacking and organizing everything, I did my deal, and ahhhh it felt good.

The next morning we all went for a swim in the pool, and well, that always feels good.  I'm not able to flutter my ankle in the water yet, still hurts a bit, but it sure felt great to just move around and exercize a little.  Next stop was the hot tub.  Heavenly.  After a nice relaxing moring and afternoon, it was time to head out to the rehearsal dinner party at my brother's house.  The rehearsal dinner was an outdoor casual affair and I was dressed accordingly and was excited to be wearing "normal" shoes.  A comfortable pair of slides that offer a great deal of support yet still look fashionable (in my humble opinion).  So.... there were several podiatrists in attendance at the dinner, and I proceeded to pick thier brains about how I "looked".  All the podiatrists there were board certified foot and ankle surgeons and the unanimous consensus was that I had an amazing recovery and looked just the way I'm supposed to at 3 months post op.  It came as no surprise that I should expect swelling for a year or more.  Gold stars from all who knew what they were talking about. 

The cocktail hour before the wedding was what seemed like a mile (not really) away from the ceremony area.  I made it, but I knew I couldn't make it back.  The ground was uneven, there were hills and valleys and it hurt.  Since I was wearing "normal people" shoes, I was hurting.  My husband lovingly went to get a wheelchair for me.  After the cocktail hour my daughter pushed me to the ceremony area.  I didn't think I would need a wheelchair, sometimes I think I'm invincible, but quickly learn that I am not.

The wedding.... beautiful, I cried like a baby because my brother's vows were like nothing I have ever heard, and he very much included my mother in those vows, God rest her soul.  He said that he had wished that his mother had met his bride, that she would have instantly loved her, and she would be her daughter....all through tears.  No words can explain.  I'm so happy for my brother and my sister.



My beautiful daughter, Julia
Yep, I really danced!
One of the goals that I had for post new ankle was to dance again.  I danced!  I danced and danced and danced!  I had to keep up with my little one! Didn't move my right ankle much but I sure moved the rest of my body and it was wonderful!!  I think it's been more than ten years since I got on a dance floor, dancing was a victory!  I'm posting a picture to prove it, but I positively despise that way I look.  I've gained thirty pounds since my surgery, and I'm sad about that.  Perhaps I should turn my blog in to a weight-loss blog.  About a year and half ago I lost 60 lbs in a desperate attempt to relieve my pain. It worked, but not enough to avoid ankle relplacement surgery.  Anyhoo, to those of you struggling with weight issues, like me, it really does make a huge difference.  I have six months until I see my doctor again, between now and then I will WILL lose a minimum of forty pounds.  So continues my blog, hopefully.  The positive impact of weight loss.  I look forward to putting less strain on my precious implant.  Let me know what you think about my continuing this blog, please go ahead and comment.  Do you want me to continue with my ankle antics?  Weight loss antics?  I would be very appreciative of your input.  To those of you who have made it through the rain with me, and forged through every word, I thank you, from the bottom of my heart.  My only wish is that I have helped someone. 


My dancing machine, Olivia!
 Best Always,
~Suzanne

3 comments:

  1. Suzanne... I am so happy you were able to get out and attend a wedding!!! As someone who has been through this surgery herself, I can appreciate how much that must have meant to you.

    About continuing your blog... I am almost 9 months post-surgery and I don't blog as much because I am more active now. However, I find that writing things down now and then helps me... we tend to forget things too soon... our fears, our pain, our recovery, our milestones achieved. It might be a good idea to continue blogging your thoughts, whether anyone is readign them or not. I think, in the long run, it will be helpful to you if no one else.

    Like you, I hope that my blog has also helped others in our situation. My surgery was before yours but you are still an inpsiration to me! It's wonderful to hear how well someone else is doing after this surgery. Whether you continue to blog or not, I wish you well!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine! Thank you for stopping by, and I so appreciate your advice, more than you know, on this post as well as the last. It is so comforting to know that you really understand and your insight is greatly appreciated and accepted. You're right, and I will continue, for now. I will always have this to look back on. Thank you, so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 5 days post op from ankle replacement surgery. Your blog is very encouraging. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete