Sunday, March 27, 2011

Easy Does It

It has been 12 days since my operation, and quite frankly, it feels longer than that.  I am extremely anxious to get moving but know I must not over do it.  When I do too much  around the house my ankle lets me know, in the form of throbbing. That's when I stack my pillows high and elevate.  Elevating my ankle is the single most important thing I've done to control any pain.  It only makes sense that if the ankle is hanging down, the blood rush is going to cause a lot of pressure and that pressure is going to bring on some discomfort.

I've been feeling new and unfamiliar pains from time to time, must be my body healing.  I was very worried the other day, as I took quite a spill.  My husband took a month off from work to care of me.  In addition to caring for me, and our children, he has been tackling several projects around the house.  He had the house pressure washed and I ventured outside to have a look the day before yesterday.  Upon reentering the house, I placed my crutches on the entryway rug and sure enough, as I should have known, it slipped out from under me and down I went....hard onto my front porch.  I was so frightened for my ankle and while the fall seemed to be in slow motion,  I did everything I could to protect my ankle, and landed flat on my back.  That was REALLY scary, I was shaking like a leaf, I really hope I didn't do any damage to my new implant.  After that I headed up to my bed.  Fortunately my back was okay which shocks me as I am very prone to back problems most likely due to my limp and all the favoring I've done for so many years.  I had a few aches and pains the next day, as if I had worked out at the gym...nothing too serious, thank goodness.  Lesson learned!  BE CAREFUL! 

Tomorrow is my first post-op appointment with my surgeon!  I'm so excited about it, I can't wait to hear what he has to say about how everything is healing thus far.  In addition, I get my sutures removed, and my brand spanking new fiber glass cast!  Woo hoo!  My kids have their sharpies ready, I can guarantee that the new cast will end up being quite the piece of artwork once they've let their creative juices flow on to my cast for four weeks!  :) 

Looking forward to getting out of the house tomorrow, will report back soon with my Dr's findings. 

Best,
Suzanne

4 comments:

  1. That was quite scare! So glad you and the precious ankle are OK.
    Thanks for answering my questions. Yesterday I went shopping (in the store wheelchair) and bought wide legged sweats,long and capris. I have plenty of nighties, long and mid-calf,some with T's and shorts. So glad that is done as shopping totally exhausts me.
    I have my pre-op, medical clearance on April 5, making a list of all my current meds, vitamins, etc.
    You have the STAR implant and Christine has and I will have the Salto-Talaris. It will be interesting to compare if that is posssible.
    Look forward to hearing about your Dr. appt. results.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there....what a scary fall indeed! So glad you are OK and that your ankle and back weren't affected. Can't wait to hear how your new cast is feeling. Bet you were glad to get out of the house, albeit briefly. Will check back on your blog! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay, shopping IS exhausting! I'm glad that you've gotten that done so you can ease your mind. You're pre-op is coming up, that might be a rather long appt, it was for me, two hours. Just a heads up.

    How long will your be non weight bearing period be on your Salto-Talaris?

    Suzanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael! I am delighted that you stopped by! Thank you for your endless love and support, can't wait to see you in April!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete