Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wow! I feel GOOD!

I never expected to feel this good just six days after surgery!  I have stopped all medications and any pain that I experience is minimal.  I promised my surgeon that I would keep my "toes above the nose" for two weeks so I took up residence in our guest room upstairs, the room with he best TV, of course, and a very comfortable bed.
My wonderful husband has been taking excellent care of me, and my young daughters have been very helpful as well.  Beautiful too see how my family pulls together when times get tough, I am truly blessed.

The long and short of it is, I'm just taking it easy.  My husband helps me with leg exercises and I wiggle my toes as often as I can.  I managed to get myself into the tub on my own which felt liberating, needed help getting out though, one step at a time...
I'm not used to relaxing this much and relying on others, I get fidgety.  Last night I made my way down the stairs on my bottom, which I was used to doing prior to my ankle replacement.  Trust me, I've had lots of practice.  My family was so happy to see me downstairs so we all sat together in the greatroom for a few hours.  Life is getting back to normal already, I couldn't be happier.  Getting back up those stairs was a workout, whew, I need to get back in shape!  Looking forward to my walking boot so I can hit the gym.  Speaking of boots and casts, the one I have now is actually rather comfortable as it allows for swelling since it's soft on the front.  It is big and bulky, however, and feels very heavy.  On the 28th I will get my fiberglass cast which should lighten the load a bit. 

So far, this experience is far better than I ever expected it to be.  I wish the same for anyone out there awaiting an ankle replacement.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Suzanne, Your recovery is phenomenal! Already off the pain meds, using the stairs, and taking a bath! You will soon be driving and riding a bike! I am so impressed. You have a wonderful supportive family who are helping and cheering you on. Thanks for sharing this good news. May I call you Wonder Woman? Can't wait for your next inspiring blog. Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll save the Wonder Woman title for you!

    ReplyDelete