Saturday, March 19, 2011

My New Ankle is Four Days Old

Surgery took place four days ago and let me tell you that so far, I feel a great deal better than I thought I would at this point.  Even though I know the road is still long I can't help but feel excited, happy, and RELIEVED.  I vaguely remember seeing and hearing my surgeon in the recovery room.  He showed me pictures of my new ankle which I could barely see through my happy tears, and told me that everything went great!  I think I tried to sit up and hug him, and then I thought.....ouch.  OUCH. 

I was given a nerve block prior to my general anethesia.  I understood that the nerve block would manage my pain for up to twelve hours, of course I was all for it.  The procedure itself was rather painful, and unfortunately for me, the block did not take at all.  I realized as I tried to hug my surgeon that I was in extreme pain.  I don't want to frighten anyone out there about the pain, because in the grand scheme of things, it all works itself out.  Here I am four days later feeling pretty darn good.  I'm uncomfortable from time to time, but I can manage it.  What is beautiful about this pain is that it is completely different from the pain I got to experience everyday for  several years before surgery.  That pain, thank goodness, is now gone. 

I'll check in here tomorrow to post more...my eyes are closing.  Good night all!

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you again and from the words of your surgeon your operation was a success. You'll be able to get through the pain knowing the pain free result will be so welcome.
    Sweet dreams. Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, you have just the right attitude to make your surgery a success on the 15th. Thank you so much for the reassurance, and stay positive!

    ReplyDelete