Monday, March 28, 2011

Somebody Pinch Me......

......I must be dreaming....

This morning I woke up excited to see my surgeon.  My husband drove me to my 10:30 appointment and although the waiting room was packed like a can of sardines, we were seen right away.  We were led into the "cast/suture removal room"  as I like to call it, and were greeted by a lovely, cheerful technician named Julie.  Julie led me to my table where I sat and she began to remove my cast.  She was very gentle and extremely professional.  She warned me of drainage and assured me that it was totally normal and nothing to be alarmed about.  Although I fully expected to see drainage, I sure did appreciate the heads up anyway.  The inside of my cast was cleaner than I had anticipated, and the incision appeared much larger than I expected!  Wow...I wish I had not forgotten my camera, it was quite the spectacle with all those sutures poking out, almost like a giant centipede, or something.  As surprising as it was to me, for some reason it was beautiful in my eyes. 

Dr. Johnson, my surgeon, came in and I smiled from ear to ear.  When asked how I was doing I was thrilled to give my doctor a positive report.  He looked at the incision and said that it looked very good, he was pleased.  Dr. Johnson then did something that I didn't know was going to happen today.... he began moving my ankle back and forth, with quite a bit of pressure, I might add. It felt like, for lack of a better word, a miracle.  I immediately burst into tears of joy and turned to my husband and told him that this was one of the happiest moments of my life. To move my ankle around and to not experiencine any pain while doing so, is nothing short of amazing. It was surreal. You know how a good morning stretch feels? So satisfying... that's how my ankle felt.  It had its first morning feel good kind of strecth that it has had in years, and years, and years.  I am basking in happiness. 

My husband and I chatted with Dr. Johnson while a resident removed my sutures, under close supervision.  The resident appeared to do a good job, shaky hands and all!  I have an incision on the back of my leg also, which was made to accomodate the stretching of my achilles tendon.  There, I have dissolvable sutures, so the ends were snipped and the rest were left alone.  Then came the new cast, a pretty snazzy number, if you ask me.  Yes, well, I chose hot pink and lime green.  That's right, hot pink and lime green.  I am proud to be sporting a hot pink cast with lime green stripes.  It's fun, and I knew my daughters would LOVE it.  They think I'm the coolest. :)  My colorful fashion statement has already been inked, day one of 28.  Difficult to imagine what it will look like four weeks from now. 

My next appointment is in four weeks.  At that time I will have my cast removed and ex-rays will be taken.  I am anxious to know if all is healing well.  I will be given my walking boot and will gradually begin to put weight on my new ankle.  VERY curious to see how that goes. 

So for now, I am walking (crutching) on cloud nine.  Today was a very happy day.

My hope is that everyone in pain gets to have their happy day.....  then days, weeks, years,decades....

Thanks for reading!
~Suzanne

9 comments:

  1. Suzanne, This is amazing, actually moving your ankle! What a pleasure!

    "Casting" has come a long way, baby. You are now a fashionista. Love the playful, cheery colors of your new cast.

    The STAR, your fab surgeon,and your positive attitude are to be commended. Dancing with the Stars will soon be calling you!

    Are you currently on any pain meds?

    Thanks for the terrific update. Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, thank you for continuing to read my blog, it's nice to share my experience with someone who understands. Trust me, prior to surgery I did not have this positive attitude at all. I was certain it wouldn't work, I was always down in the dumps, the constant pain made me depressed, I was just a mess. Thankfully, my life has already changed for the better. I thank God for that. I smile a lot more now, everyone under my roof seems happier now.

    "When Mom is happy, everyone is happy" right?


    Although I may appear to be,hee hee, I am not on any pain medication. I put away the pills about four days after I came home from the hospital. I am taking calcium, and aspirin. The aspirin was prescribed to reduce the chance of a blood clot from being still so often.

    Kay, how long will your non weight bearing period be with you Salto-Talaris?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific update with a great post-op visit and love the colors of your current cast. I am surprised, as you must have been, that the Dr. tested/moved the new ankle so quickly after surgery but makes sense really I suppose. Am sure that the X-rays next month will also support this excellent recovery and I know you will be elated to receive a walking "boot"! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Non-weight bearing for two weeks, check up post-op at two weeks. I am getting ready to go to my pre-op, medical clearance on Tuesday in Iowa City, 90 miles away. I have prepared the requested list of medications, prescribed and over the counter, herbs, etc. I have ordered a Golden Recliner with the toes above the nose position, will not arrive until April 18. Trying to get the gear that i will need. Will rent a wheelchair but must buy the bathtub bench. I appreciate my daughters coming to assist me when needed.
    Keep up the good healing! Are you driving a car yet? Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suzanne,
    I'm Holly and it is my 2nd anniversary today, of my TAR!! Sounds like you are doing well! Keep up the good work!
    I'll be reading,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Holly! So glad you stopped by! Please tell me about your TAR, is it a happy anniversary? Would love to know your story.
    ~Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kay - how did your pre-op appointment go? And to answer your question about driving, no, I'm not driving yet. Perhaps when I get my boot I'll be able to. Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am good to go. Passed my pre-op and med clearance. Stopped at the Pioneer Co-op Health Food store in Iowa City and loaded up.
    I had a back massage today at PT. I was really tight, it felt so good. As you know getting ready is a busy time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzanne -I loved reading about the Doctor moving your ankle. I can't even fathom what that will be like. Like you, I couldn't move my ankle at all. I guess in the back of my mind, I'm going to be waiting for that old pain to resurface (you know, the bone against bone that drove us insane before having surgery)? I hope I never have that again for the rest of my life! I like that you are a couple months ahead of me in your recovery because your posts give me more home and the exciting things to look forward to. Hugs, Jan

    ReplyDelete