Thursday, March 24, 2011

Still Going Strong

Good day all!  I thought I would have a lot of complaining and venting to do on here, boy was I wrong.  Is a hammer going to drop?  This is just too good to be true. Granted, I do realize that once I begin to actually try to walk on my new ankle, the road will get rough. I'm ready for that.  For now, I have nothing negative to report other than the fact that I've got ants in my pants!  There's so much that I want to do, I feel ready to get back my busy life as usual.  Each time I try, I realize it's a no go with only one good foot. 

Yesterday I headed downstairs and enjoyed some beautiful weather outside on our deck.  First time since my surgery that I felt the wind in my face, it was divine. It did my body good to soak in some vitamin D for a change!  I stayed downstairs all day with my family, and it was hard to sit still.  I found myself wanting to do dishes and laundry and all the stuff that I normally can't stand.  Since when do I really WANT to clean the bathrooms?  Counting down the days until I get my walking boot...can not wait to find out if that boot is really made for walking...for now I'm excited about the 28th, when I'll get my new fiberglass cast.  I plan to get one of those cast covers so I can head into the shower.  To anyone awaiting their ankle replacement surgery, I highly recommend one. 

Speaking of recommendations, I get a lot of use out of my knee walker when I go downstairs, it's easy to glide around from place to place.  I leave my crutches upstairs, go down the stairs on my bottom and then hop on my knee walker.  If you don't have one, I recommend that you get one and practice on it before your surgery.  Once I have my new cast I plan to put a shower seat in the shower so I can sit and enjoy the rain.  One thing that I wish I had that I do not, is a walker.  I was offered one in the hospital by the physical therapist, and felt uncomfortable with it when I took it for test drive.  I decided not to bring it home, which was a mistake.  It would have been very helpful, especially when using the bathroom. The walker would have helped with sitting down and getting up.  You get my drift.  So if you get your hands on a walker, don't let go like I did.



Bye for now, enjoy this beautiful day!
~Suzanne

3 comments:

  1. Google did not post my previous long comment, lost it, so will make this brief.
    Pre-Op: I just rented a 4 wheel Nova 4207 walker with a seat,brakes,and a basket. I would like a food tray and cup holder. I am using two canes now. Thinking of getting a wheelchair with a leg extension.
    Can anyone make a rec for a recliner chair? I am looking a the Golden Maxi-Comfort in small, has the Toes above the Nose position and WatchTV position, etc. takes about 6 weeks to build in a fabric/color I like.
    I tried a knee walker but I was unstable using it.
    I am thinking of getting a bath bench, a chair in the tub with a bench over the side of the tub, you slide in easily to the chair and the affected ankle is out of the water. Suggested: a garbage bag could suffice to cover the cast/boot.
    Hope that your remarkable recovery is still going strong. Thank you so much.
    In haste. Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, you sound prepared. It goes without saying, that the more components that are in place ahead of time, the less complicated your recovery will be. I was not familiar with the Maxi-Comfort chair so I googled it. I'm hoping that someone who has used one, and can give you a review, stumbles upon this blog. My own feeling is that if you will feel more confident, comfortable, content, and have peace of mind knowing that you have the chair, then it is worth its weight in gold.

    The bathtub set up sounds perfect. For the bathroom I would recommend a raised toilet seat and something to help you get up and down.

    I read your post on Christine's blog regarding your daughters and the nursing home. I trust that no matter what you decide, there will always be someone with you. This is not something you can take on alone, for the first two weeks at the very least. I know you're Wonder Woman, but still. I don't know what I would have done without my husband and young daughters.

    Bless your heart, Kay, you're almost there. I can't wait to hear about your successful surgery and speedy recovery. Please continue to stay in touch.

    ~Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne here, again. A couple of things I meant to add per your questions on Christine's blog.... smart thinking to ask about constipation. I actually had a pretty severe problem with that, about 3 or 4 days into healing. I was given stool softeners in the hospital and continued to take them at home. It was in vain because I really ended up suffering for a couple of days. After a call to my doctor, I took laxitives, drank Milk of Magnesia, and finally used a suppository. Within ten minutes of using a suppository, I found relief. If it happened again, I would head straight for that. Eat well, lots of fruits and veggies and drink tons of water. Pain meds can really wreak havoc!

    As far as what to wear to accomodate the initial cast/splint, a skirt or capris with very wide leg openings, a big pair of shorts (that's what I wore) or some sweatpants that have the snaps in the legs. Hope that helps!

    ~Best

    ReplyDelete