Thursday, April 7, 2011

23 Days Post - Op

Time seems to stand still when you are in a cast!  Looking forward to having it removed in 18 days.  There is so much I want to do, but still can't, so at this stage of recovery I would describe myself as feeling frustrated, out of shape, and itchy!  I'm ready to get going, yearning to be mobile, yet there is still such a long road ahead of me.  I must be patient. 

Thank you for letting me vent a little. 

Since my last post I have not experienced any pain in my ankle at all. Seems odd to say that when I just had major ankle surgery three weeks ago! I do expect that to change, however, once weight bearing starts. Every so often I feel twinges in the achilles tendon area which is normal due to the stretching during surgery.  I have difficulty bending my big toe, but have been working on it and notice small improvements daily.  The tendons need more time to heal, they have really been through the mill and can take quite a long time to bounce back.  So again....patience. 

My husband is going back to work soon, and will be gone for at least two weeks.  My brother will be flying in from Washington D.C. to help me run the household while my husband is away.  Let me tell you, I am truly blessed by my wonderful family and friends.  I have been spoiled rotten by my husband for nearly a month! He has done an amazing job keeping everything running smoothly around here, he has cooked, cleaned, cared for our daughters, cared for me, worked on several projects around the house, and he still brings me my coffee in bed.  He is amazing, I never once heard him complain. Honey, if you're reading this, I love you more than ever.  Hmmmm, I wonder if I can get my brother to bring me coffee in bed.  :)

My next post-op doctor visit is on the 25th.  I can't wait to see the x-rays and am hoping to hear from Dr. Johnson that my ankle is healing well.  I've had bone growth/ healing problems with surgeries in the past which have required additional procedures, so knowing that my healing is progressing well will give me peace of mind.

Best wishes to all for happiness and pain fee living!

~Suzanne

6 comments:

  1. Kay, I'm thinking of you. One more week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your recovery continues to go well and I will be glad to bring you coffee upstairs, no worries! Looking forward to arriving on Sunday!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! We'll see you tomorrow! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to Iowa City tomorrow. Still don't know exactly when my surgery takes place. I call at 1 PM tomorrow to find out.
    Yippee! My new recliner arrived this afternoon, love it, haircut, laundry, pack, racing, on a tear. Can't wait for my new ankle and get this show on the road. So much prep work. Thanks, Christine and Suzanne. Your blogs have been invaluable. I'll be back online when I can find an internet connection for my laptop. Stay tuned.
    In haste, Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will stay tuned for sure. You sound prepared, and I'm thrilled that you love your recliner! I am so excited for you, and am sending along positive thoughts, best wishes, and a giant cyber hug. When you get your internet connection you might want to have a look at the Yahoo ankle replacement group. I put a link for it in the upper right hand corner under my favorite places, and signing up is easy. There is a wealth of information there that you will find helpful. There are many ankle replacement recipients in the group, several awaiting surgery, several who are in recovery, so on and so forth. As you go through the process you might find answers to many of your questions and concerns there.

    I will be waiting on pins and needles for the good word! Stay strong, be fierce! Freedom from pain is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, I appreciate your enthusiastic best wishes and advice. I am in Iowa City with all my gear, having a light last supper, heh, heh, waiting for my daughter who will arrive after 9.
    I am fading after tieing up loose ends,packing and loading my car. The doorman rescued me at the hotel with a wheelchair. I am having freshly made organic tomato and basil soup, ahi tuna, well done with cucumbers and onions.
    Instructions are for me to swab my body with s germ killing chemical, front and back, arms and legs, groin after a shower tonight. Put on clean clothes. Then up early, take the shuttle to the hospital and check in at 8:45 AM, surgery is scheduled for 10:45. They want me to bring my walker and crutches. Orthopedics patient rooms have wifi so when i come out of my stupor and they let me have laptop...I'll be seeing you. Kay

    ReplyDelete