Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Ambulation Celebration

Of course I just couldn't wait to share my thoughts on how much my life has changed, in just two short days.  In a nutshell, this boot IS made for walking.  I can not describe how thrilling it is to actually put weight on my ankle and to actually have it feel good.  When incomprehensible pain is all I felt for years, well, I can't put in to words what I am feeling inside.  I don't mean to sound dramatic, but I am a passionate person and my emotions can be intense.  So right now, I am intensely happy. :)

At first I was afraid to put any pressure on my ankle while in my boot.  That fear rapidly dissipated as I very carefully put some weight on the ankle.  No pain.  A little more weight, no pain.  More...so on.  Instead of pain I felt somewhat of a comfortable stretching feeling in my foot and joints.  It was as if they were thanking me for finally using them.  The experience thus far more than exceeds my expectations.  In the back of my mind I'm still wondering when the hammer is going to drop.  Will it drop?

In an effort to not overdo, I try to follow doctor's orders.  It was purely accidental yesterday, that I found myself walking with one crutch with the phone secured between my shoulder and my ear, and a cup of coffee in my hand.  I was so heavily into a conversation with a friend that I didn't even realize that I was doing it.  Perhaps it was a no no, but all I could do was smile.  I put the coffee down and grabbed the other crutch.  Not because I felt like I needed it, but more for the protection of my wonderful surgeon's handiwork. 

I'm working on stretching, up and down and side to side.  I have limited dorsiflexion, and even more limited plantarflexion.  Moving side to side is good, I can't complain.  This part of the program will take time, work, discipline, and patience.  I'm confident that two weeks from now I'll have a better story to tell in that regard.  That said, my first PT appointment is scheduled for Friday at noon.  Looking forward to getting started.
Tomorrow I have an appointment for my prescribed compression sock.  Currently I wear a temporary one supplied from my doctor's office.  I don't wear it all the time, I'll ask tomorrow if it is imperative that I do.  To be honest, I'm not crazy about it.  It feels like my leg is being strangled, and it squeezes my incisions.  Maybe the prescribed fitted sock will be more comfortable. 

Went to a school function last night and it required lots of schlepping down long corriders and what have you.  It was good boot practice.  Because the booted foot is so much higher than my good foot, it's throwing my back out a bit.  I'll mention this at PT.  Upon returning home from the event (I'm fighting the urge to brag a little bit about my daughter) I felt a slight ache in my ankle.  Nothing too uncomfortable.  There was some swelling so I iced for awhile.  Problem solved.  Oh, and my daughter was inducted into the National Junior Honor Society last night.  I'm proud as a peacock, I just had to get that out.

I'm not overjoyed about the condition of my incisions.  The glue rash seems to be inhibiting healing, and the rash and itchiness seem to be getting worse before getting better.  I soaked in a soothing Aveeno bath for awhile, and then I revisited the cool alcohol rub.  Really helps, albeit temporarily.  I'll insert a pic and attempt to shrink it, things aren't pretty.

Can't wait to see what the future holds. 

Its a new dawn, its a new day, its a new life for me
yeah, its a new dawn its a new day its a new life for me ooooooooh
AND I'M FEELING GOOD


Thanks for reading,
~Suzanne

4 comments:

  1. You go, girl! I am soooooo happy for you!

    And congrats to your NJHS girl. A chip off the old block, I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You did it! It sucks so much not to be able to do the things you love. I'm so glad you're on your way to "you" again. XO HR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam and HR, thank you for visiting my blog, you know I love seein' ya. HR, when I'm all better perhaps you take me for a sail around the world? Pam, you can let me tag along to Nags Head/Jockey's Ridge so I can conquer the dunes! Thanks girls, for routing me on. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to show you the NC Outer Banks dear Suzanne! Get all better and we'll go fly kites on the dunes ....

    ReplyDelete