Thursday, April 14, 2011

Anxiously Awaiting The Tickle Machine!

Four plus weeks into recovery now, and still, I fight to combat my feelings of frustration.  I so look forward to the day where every little thing I do, or try to do, is not such a huge production.  Normally if I come downstairs having forgotten something, I turn around and go back up to get it.  No problem.  Now, with this non weight-bearing cast on, I literally have to psyche myself up to go up again! Heck, sometimes I just don't even bother. What normally takes minutes takes hours, what normally takes very little energy now takes everything I've got. I am acutely aware of how wrong it is for me to complain, as my problems are so very slight in comparison to what others are forced to deal with, permanently, on a daily basis.  How dare me, so enough of this selfish rant.

Moving on.... I can't wait for the tickle machine!!  In eleven days I'll get to hear the hum of that magical saw, and delight in the sensations and vibrations as I am freed from my cast.  I will do my very best not to scratch, for fear that my skin might fall off!  Goodness, it will feel heavenly to submerge this leg in water...ahhhhh.  Just hanging tight and doing my best until I get the go ahead from my surgeon to begin to put a little weight on my brand spanking new ankle. 

Speaking of putting a little weight on, I must try harder to exercise more, and snack less.  It only makes sense to keep the load light in order for my new ankle to operate at optimum level.  A couple of years ago my ankle pain had reached a point of ridiculousness so I headed to the gym and shed several pounds in hope that my pain would decrease.  It surely did, a lot.  Lately with all this sitting around, I've gotten soft, and I do believe a bit plump.  My husband is a gourmet cook, his meals are so delicious that it is easy to lose control at times.  He is away at work now, so I find myself resorting to some late night chocolate ice cream with my brother!  Must get back on track and focus on health and fitness. 

It has been wonderful having my brother here. I'll bet he didn't realize how busy he would be chauffeuring my busy daughters back and forth to school and to their various activities and such.  What a huge help he has been, I hope he knows how much I love and appreciate him.  I hope to get back to driving again in a few weeks, with doctor approval.  I've had fleeting thoughts of driving with my left foot, but am not the least bit willing to risk facing the repercussions of having an accident nor the possiblilty of hurting someone.  So I wait patiently, which you know I'm not good at. :)

Shopping has taken on a whole new meaning now that I've tried my hand at the electric scooter!  Woo hoo!  I could shop all day long like that, good thing the baskets aren't too big, yikes!  Love, LOVE it.  Sure beats dragging my foot around and holding on to my cart for dear life like I used to do! I used to not so lovingly refer to that as my Quasimodo walk.  My brother will be dropping me off at the store tomorrow, I've thought of a few additional items I need, heh heh.  Anything for a change of scenery.

I am not experiencing any ankle pain at all.  I have, however, had a few minor slips here and there and I have come down on it pretty hard.  Although putting pressure on my ankle frightened me, it did not hurt.  Hopefully that's a good sign for the future.  Time will tell, especially after my visit to the tickle machine.  I'm nursing an injury on my good foot, as a result of one of my slips.  My industrial grade sand paper-like, most abrasive cast ever, slid over my good foot and took with it quite a bit of skin.  Youch. 

All in all, I can't (and shouldn't) complain.  Things are going very well, and I continue to feel blessed many times over, on so many levels.  I thank God for my beautiful family, for all the support they have given me and continue to give.  I'm feeling the love, and I hope you do to!

Best,
Suzanne

One more thing...my ankle pain buddy, Kay, is embarking on her total ankle replacement journey tomorrow.  Her surgery is scheduled for 10:45 a.m..  Sending positive waves out to her, she is in my prayers and I wish only the best for a successful operation and a happy pain free life.

5 comments:

  1. i have tried three times to post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! I've been dying to hear from you! SUCCESS! Congratulations Kay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how anxiously you await the cast removal and the ensuing freedom it will bring. I think you've done a marvelous job recuperating and moving about with the cast...frustrating at times for sure but all will work out in due time.

    Am glad to be here and help out and luckily have the type of job where I can work remotely. At each day's end everything on the schedule was accomplished so that is what really counts. I'm sure that will continue next week when Dad arrives to pitch in!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mommy glad to hear you're recovering well.(: Can't wait for you to get your cast off and get your boooot! This recovery has gone by SO QUICK it feels like you just got your surgery. SOOOO excited for you to be able to user your newww ankleee sooooon!!! Love, Julia xoxoxoxoxoxo <3

    ReplyDelete