Friday, April 29, 2011

Physical Therapy 101

My first physical therapy appointment went very well, much better than I had anticipated.  I am highly impressed with Nick, my therapist.  He was attentive, knowledgeable, and very gentle. He managed to answer most of my questions before I even asked them. I love it when that happens.  I'm actually looking forward to going back, and am scheduled for three visits next week.  Today, the focus was on stretching, and it felt sooooo good.  At times I had hoped that Nick would have pushed harder, but he explained that he didn't want to be overly aggressive during our first meeting.  I know it was the right decision and it was in my best interest, but you know me, I just want to get this ball rolling!  Anyway, we did some ROM measurements, and clearly I have a very long way to go.  Dorsiflexion was at 2 degrees, plantar was at 6.  Comes as no surprise based on my condition prior to surgery. My ankle was pretty darn stiff before my operation, so anything I gain back that is an addition to what I had, would be like winning the lottery.  I'm told that normal dorsiflexion should be 20-25 degrees and plantar should range from 40-45.  Well, normal is not a realistic goal for me, obviously.  I'll shoot for half, at 10 and 20. If I end up with more, fantastic.  If I end up with less, well then I'll make the best of what I have.  Nick gave me some exercises to do at home, five to six times a day, totalling about two hours worth of stretching. Holy cow! That's a lot of stretching exercises!  Yep, but I'm up for the challenge.

My compression sock has been sidelined until my incisions are less irritated from my adhesive rash.  Yes, I still have it, along with the incessant itching.  In the meantime I use one of my cast stockings under my boot.  I'm happiest with my boot off, so I remove it every chance I get.  Lots of TAR patients sleep in their boots, I am not one of those patients.  When I am not moving and don't have any plans, I am free to be my bootless me.

As usual, I am not experiencing any pain.  I really don't get it, this is the opposite of what I had expected.  When I was asked at the physical therapy office what I was taking for pain, it felt great to say "nothing".  Perhaps my internal organs can finally begin to attempt to recover from all of the anti-inflammatory drug abuse they have encountered for so many years.  I popped Ibuprofen like candy, for a long, long time. It was the only way I could make it through the day.  I shied away from narcotics because they put me to sleep and I had two young children to take care of, on my own, while my husband traveled.  My PT therapist assures me that the pain will come when I begin full weight walking.  That doesn't worry me though, because I know that the pain will never even come close to the bone crunching pain that was there before surgery.  That horrible feeling is gone forever, which explains why my life has changed so much, already, for the better.  I have so much to be thankful for.

Speaking of thankful....  my husband took care of me around the clock following my surgery. He ran the whole house, did the cooking, cleaning, laundry, drove the kids to their activities, took care of our pets, and well, he did it ALL.  He never once complained.  My love for him is stronger than ever,  and I thank him for putting up with me for sixteen years of marriage.  Today, April 29th, is our wedding anniverary. 

Thank you honey, and Happy Anniversary! xoxo

Best,
~Suzanne

8 comments:

  1. I hope you'll be dancing on your next wedding anniversary dear Suzanne! Don't overdo just yet, you know they'll push you when they think you're ready! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to pay heed to your advice, Pam, as today I was all over the house acting like I can do anything. So what am I doing now? Icing. All in all, still an awesome day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your anniversary and your choice of husband, obviously a winner, a loving caring person.
    I am most interested in your PT comments as I will soon be at that point. Can't wait.
    Tomorrow is my two week check up with my doctor at UIowa Sports Medicine. My daughter will take me. I have not seen her since last Thanksgiving. She will return to Seattle in five days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Kay. I guess I'll keep him around! :) I have a PT appt tomorrow, and again on Wednesday and Friday. I'll let you know how it goes. So far so good, like I can't even believe it.

    Wonderful that you get to see your daughter after so much time! Enjoy your precious time with her. I hope your home care is going well, and that you are comfortable and able to get a full nights sleep. How's your pain level? Here's to getting up and walking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A long day at my two week check-up. Doing well. I was put in a walking cast with a shoe which must be worn with the cast AND I can have weight bearing on my foot if it is comfortable. This changes my ambulatory aides. They think I should be able to use my four wheel walker (the one I bought with a seat and a basket) and need PT if I want on upper body only. I am going home tomorrow. YEA. More later.
    Congratulations! Suzanne, on your triumphal walk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home Sweet Home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Google continues to eat my posts so I am switchin to Anonymous for now.
    Thanks. Kay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome home Kay! I'll bet it feels great to get into your home routine, all of your comforts surrounding you. Weight bearing after two weeks, that's amazing. How does your ankle feel? I'm hoping that all is going better than you expected. Relax in that recliner of yours, always great to hear you. Google should stop being a pain.

    ReplyDelete